Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Evaluation Day

Evaluation Day.... Recently we had Jason's two year visit to the doctor and the doctor couldn't be happier with how well he is growing and doing the only small concern he had was that his language is a little behind or that is could be. We were told there are two types of language receptive and responsive. According to the doctor Jason's receptive language is off the charts as well as his motor skills. We already knew Jason is super smart when it comes to understanding what we say, he's not one of the kids that you can say things and hope he won't catch it, because he will and he remembers what you said you would do, he understands every action I ask him to do (now if he actually does it depends on his mood) he knows colors and letters if I ask him to point them out and he knows so many different sound effects it's insane! As far as motor skills he knows some sign and I only have to show him a sign one and he's got it down. As for his responsive language, well... he says the typical little kid words and things mama, what's that, lub you, mine... he just doesn't mimic like other kids his age do, it's like he doesn't want to waste the energy and could care less or he does the sound effect for whatever the object is. Anyway the doctor gave us a referral for Kids on The Move which is an organization that helps young children in different areas and language happens to be one of those areas. Today a language evaluator is coming to the house to talk and play and see if he qualifies for the program (is it bad that I hope he fails the test so he qualifies) I know from personal experience how helpful these programs can be even for kids with just a little hiccup, I was one of them. I had a horrible speech problem in elementary school and took speech classes up till 5th grade and during those classes I learned things I would of never learned in the regular class room. I accredit my speech classes to my reading skills as I progressed in school and so much more. I guess we'll see soon what the evaluation brings us in our future. If he qualifies we'll be able to do all types of different therapies to help his language skills and I'll get to learn many more skills as a mom on how to help my children in this certain department.

No comments: