
I realize I'm about a week late in posting this, however in my defense I have been a little busy. Benson Paul Pierce Adams was born Nov 22 at 12:26 am and he is doing wonderfully. We could not be happier that he is here. I, Bryan and Jason are all smitten with Benson and all he brings into our family. Our little man came weighing in at 7lbs 2.6 oz and 19.5 inches small and super adorable!
For those of you interested in how our little man made his debut keep reading...
throughout the weekend before little Benson was born I was having some pretty bad back spasms, by Sunday I decided to go to Labor and Delivery just to get checked to see if anything was coming from it because I was in some decent pain. I was checked and told on Sunday that I hadn't changed and was at a 4 still and that I should take it easy with my back and to expect back labor during delivery. Monday was my routine doctor's visit and by this point I was in a lot of pain with my back and having 3-4 contractions an hour, the contractions were small and not bothersome, however the back spasms that went along afterwards were not fun at all. While taking to the doctor we found that my sugars were higher than he'd like to see with Gestational Diabetes and that he should put me on medication, but with only having a week before I was to be induced he didn't want to, but should. The doctor decided to check me and see if maybe I was ready to deliver and then I wouldn't have to be put on medication as I would have Benson and the GD wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't need medicine. After being checked he declared I was at a 5 and he was kind enough to strip my membranes. Doc then said he was on call that night and that I should go do some laps and increase my contractions and go into Labor and Delivery in 4 hours or so and if I had any change that he would keep me and we could have a baby! Bryan and I then decided to finish our Christmas shopping for Jason and Benson so we wouldn't have to worry about it once Benson was here. Jason was with Grandma Adams during the doctors appointment, so we went and picked him up and went about our shopping, we went to the mall and played at the Tree house with Jason and I made sure I was doing some major walking and lifting Jason, we walked the mall, went to ToysRus and then to Target to finish up our Christmas shopping. Once we were finished up with shopping and Jason was worn out we came home and laid him down for a nap (we always read stories and sing songs before nap and bed time and as I sat holding my little boy I had tears coming down my face with a strong feeling that this would be the last time it would be just him and I), it still wasn't time to go to the hospital so I decided to clean up around the house so I wouldn't have to worry about it if Benson did come, so I cleaned, took a shower, blow dried my hair and made sure my hospital bag was all taken care of. Then it was time to go. My mom stayed with Jason, who was still sleeping when we left for the hospital. Once at the hospital they take you to a room to be monitored and see if you are progressing. The nurse checked me and I had very little change other than some more effacement, so I had an hour of waiting ahead of me to see if I changed while sitting there. During my hour I started having some pretty big contractions only about 7 minutes apart and they like to see them 3 or less minutes apart. Along with my contractions again I was having some awesome back spasms and having a hard time sitting. After my first hour the doctor wanted to keep me another hour to see if my contractions would get closer together, which they did only by about a minute, but when the nurse checked me I was at a 6! The nurse then asked me if I wanted an epidural, which meant they were keeping me and we were going to meet our little Benson very soon!!! At this time it was about 9pm. I asked to speak with the anesthesiologist and find out my options as far as pain management, because I was really not planning on having an epidural (with Jason it made me really sick and I hated the way it made me feel), however with my back spasms which was now called back labor I couldn't even sit up with out leg numbing pain shooting down my bottom to my feet and I was worried I wouldn't be able to push little Benson out, because I couldn't move. My contractions were still bearable and if it wasn't for the back labor I wouldn't of even thought of the epidural. I decided to wait it out a little longer and see if maybe Benson would turn over as I was told he was posterior (his head was face up instead of face down so his skull was against my spine which was why I was having back labor) My dad and Bryan's dad came to the hospital to give me a blessing and during the blessing I decided that I would get the epidural and that everything would work out okay. They started me on pitocin to speed things up a little and get my contractions closer together. Bryan's parents and Melissa were in the room with us up until the anesthesiologist came into do my epidural. the anesthesiologist tried first to place the epidural in a lower spot hoping that it would help with the back labor more than the regular placement (a lot of times the epidural doesn't even touch back labor pain, which worried me cause then I had the chance of being sick and in pain from the epidural) The first try with the epidural didn't work out so she had to place it in the spot where they normally place it. Getting the epidural didn't hurt too bad it was uncomfortable, what hurt was having contractions while having to bend over my belly and trying not to move so the epidural would get placed right. Once the epidural was all said and done, the anesthesiologist ran the test dose and I did okay with it other than getting shakey which they say is pretty normal, so she left the room and left the nurse to do my catheter (when your legs are numb you're not getting up to go to the bathroom) another nurse got the family and told them they could come back in which they were standing on the other side of the curtain in my room just waiting...Well I guess during this time I passed out, completely blacked out, the only I knew was I woke up to the nurse yelling in my face and about 10 other nurses and the anesthesiologist in the room putting something in my IV. I didn't know what happened and it took me a minute to figure out why the nurse was asking me silly questions such as did I know where I was, to which I answered the hospital and why I was in the hospital to which I answered to have a baby. I really could not figure out why she would ask me these questions, wasn't it obvious? I was then told that I blacked out my blood pressure had dropped to 74/29 and the nurse thought I was going to die with how fast I crashed, my heart rate dropped pretty low too, but she didn't say to what and Benson's dropped into the 90s (a baby's is usually 150ish) . The nurse then stopped the pitocin, but the doctor came in and broke my water, by now it was about 11:00pm. The nurse kept everyone but Bryan out of the room just in case I had another laps. I was really shaky and didn't feel very good, but I didn't feel like I was going to pass out, but I guess I didn't really know that I passed out the first time. At this time my epidural was wearing off a bit and I was not about to hit up another dose, so I just hoped that I could push and it wouldn't take long to push. By about 12:00am the nurse checked me and said I was just about ready to push and wanted to know if she should get who I wanted in the room now or once they got the room set up I said once the room was set up, so the room got all set up and she got the doctor and another nurse went to get my mom, Bryan's mom Adrienne, Ashley (my BFFs) and my sister-in-law Melissa pretty much all the females that wanted to be in the room that were in the waiting room. By the time the girls got into the room the doctor was in place, not sitting down like they normally do, he raised the bed all the way and was standing and when I asked him why he was standing he answered "I won't be delivering, I'll be catching and it's easier to catch standing up" The doctor then announced "here's his head" and within seconds the rest of little baby Benson was here at 12:26am. Before I started pushing I stated with Jason I pushed for 17 minutes and I was determined to beat that time, the nurse told me I pushed for less than a minute! our moms and the girls just about didn't make it in time to witness the miracle of Benson's birth, I'm glad they got there for the important part. Once Benson was born he was breathing pretty fast so the nurse needed to take him to the nursery to monitor him closer, they let me hold him for a minute before whisking him away. Our families were there and happy and all I could think about was if my baby boy was okay, I was very distracted and still shaky and itchy from the epidural wearing off, someone brought me some food and once I ate the shaky part went away for the most part. They brought Benson back into my room pretty quickly he was only in the nursery for about 30 minutes before he got to come and be with me and I was one happy mama! My baby boy was here! The love of my life by my side and my Jason at home sleeping, I wish he could of been there right after to be with us, but his sleep is important. Once people cleared out I fed Benson and boy this kid wrote the manual on how to eat, he's such a good eater. Benson got his first bath that morning about 3am and he and I slept till 7:30am. Later that morning my mom brought Jason over to meet his baby brother. I was really nervous that Jason would be jealous as he was with his baby cousin, to the point where if I held her he would yell my mommy and find someone else to get her from me and he'd climb in my lap. Jason walked into the room and Bryan was holding Benson, Jason walked right up to Bryan climbed on his lap and Bryan introduced them to each other, Jason looked at Benson then at me pointed at my stomach said something about mama and then kissed his new baby brother, like he knew exactly who he was, and did he ever. Jason didn't even mind one bit that I was holding Benson in fact he wanted to be right there with us for the first while, until he got his gift from his little brother, then he just wanted to play with his new toy.
That's pretty much the just of the story and now we have two of the most beautiful creations that Heavenly Father has ever made to call our own. I am in love with my little Benson and am amazed that by having him my love not only grew to fit him into my heart, but my love has grown for Bryan and for Jason as well. Benson is a gift from Heaven, he is my life a long with Jason and Bryan. My family is my center, they are what keeps me going, what gives me breath. I am blessed beyond measure for my boys!
1 comment:
I LOVE THE PICTURE AT THE END OF THIS POST. Makes my heart melt.
Angelita, thank you for including me in something so incredibly miraculous. Not just the fact that you were able to have two children (after being told it most likely wouldn't happen - a miracle of its own) but to witness the entrance of an innocent individual into this world. As I sat and watched Benson just MINUTES after his birth I thought, "Oh my goodness. This little guy was just barely on the other side of the veil. He's so pure and innocent."
I have a deep respect and reverence of motherhood because of you and Ashley. You two have changed me through example. You two would sacrifice ANYTHING for your children. I just stand back and observe each of you with a soul-deep admiration.
I'm so happy for you, Bryan, and little Jason. Your family of four is absolutely beautiful.
Post a Comment